May 22, 2006

Martina Hingis - The Fighter


I had always been an ardent Steffi fan, Along the way, I started to like Martina Hingis also. The 'Swiss Miss' holds many firsts..

In January 1997, Hingis became the youngest Grand Slam singles winner in the 20th century by winning the Australian Open aged 16 years and 3 months.

In March, she became the youngest-ever player to attain the World No. 1 ranking.

And in July, she became the youngest singles champion at Wimbledon since Lottie Dod in 1887. She went on to win the US Open title by defeating another up-and-coming star, Venus Williams, in the final. The only Grand Slam singles title she failed to win that year was the French Open, where she lost in the final to Iva Majoli.

In 1998, Hingis won all four of the Grand Slam women's doubles titles. She became only the third woman to simultaneously hold the No. 1 ranking in both singles and doubles.

But, In 2003, at the age of 22, Hingis announced her retirement from tennis after losing her battle with severe ankle problems (ligament damage) and dwindling results.

I thought another star had faded out. But to my surprise, she announced a comeback last year. I can always catch up with my career if a take break for five years. But in sports, the game is entirely different. I still had my apprehensions as to how she will manage the show with the younger ones clearly dominating the court.

Upon her return, Hingis had a WTA rank of no. 349. And today after winning the Italian Open, she is 14th in the list. What a comeback, it has been.

Three Cheers to you .. Hingis!!!

1 comment:

gt said...

I would call her a "Slovakian Babe."